In September of this year my husband and I traveled to Iceland for 2 weeks. We like to try and do a big vacation every year. We’re still not sure how we picked Iceland. I remember talking about Brazil and the amazon, then somehow Iceland got on the radar. Being that we prefer cooler climates and not melting in 100 degree weather we chose Iceland! What a beautiful country! Seriously amazing. I wouldn’t want to live there but its a great place to visit. I have a lot of photos I’d like to share, so this post is going to be kind of long. Although I am breaking it up into two posts. Some of the things we learned about Iceland:
- people don’t mind leaving their babies outside of stores to sleep in the stroller
- there is hardly any crime and its all minor stuff
- there is a volcano that when it erupts will be much more powerful than the one in 2010
- there are more sheep than people
- the sheep graze in the highlands in the summer and then are herded down for winter
- most of the country lives in Reykjavik
- the Icelandic horse is truly pure bred..no other horses are allowed to enter Iceland and if an Icelandic horse leaves Iceland it can’t come back.
Enjoy the sights of Iceland!
This is from a very volcanic area of Iceland. In fact this is volcanic rock. WE had great lighting here all day long!
Nature Baths in Mytvan
The big church in Reykjavik
On this day we had gray weather all day, but the clouds parted just in time for sunset! Our hotel was on this lake.
This was a waterfall that you could walk behind
Same waterfall, but from up front.
One of our activities was hiking on a glacier
I love road shots!
A volcanic Crater in Mytvan
Each little village on the east side seems to sit right under a waterfall